Ten More Interesting Things You Probably Didn’t Know About South Jersey…and Ocean County
There are a lot of interesting “facts” about South Jersey that many people who live and work in our region don’t know. Some are marginal. Some are remarkable. But most are really pretty interesting.
For example, did you know that:
1. The Delaware River is the longest undammed river east of the Mississippi (300 miles from the Catskills to Cape May) and its basin provides drinking water for 5% of the total US population?
2. It’s also the largest freshwater port in the world and provides more the drinking water for Manhattan than the Hudson River?
3. One of the five fastest-growing private companies in the entire Philadelphia region is located in South Jersey…it’s Parts Life Inc. in Cinnaminson, which is #4 on this year’s list; the next highest ranked company, at #22, was Mount Laurel-based WebiMax, while Source4Teachers at #28 was the only other SJ company to rank in the top 50?
4. In 1935, a half-hour airplane ride over Camden County in a Curtiss Condor from Central Airport in Pennsauken cost $1?
5. Medford designer and boutique owner Karlanne Pflaume designed four dresses worn by Miss New Jersey in this year’s Miss America pageant?
6. Three of the four South Jersey towns to make the Delaware Valley’s “wealthiest zip codes” Top 25 list this year are in Burlington County…#13 Chesterfield (08515), #22 Jobstown (08041) and #23 Moorestown (08057); the fourth, at #19, is Camden County’s Cherry Hill (08003)?
7. The top three population gainers in the region between 2010 and 2013—based on the community’s percentage rate of growth—are in South Jersey—Cookstown, Wrightstown, and Mount Royal; and all five of the slowest growers are also in SJ—Gibbstown, Burlington, Lumberton, National Park and Woodbury Heights?
8. According to a review of local police records by The Moorestown Patch, the South Jersey towns with 20,000 or fewer residents that had the highest rate of violent crime in 2011 (the last year for which full data is available) are Salem City (12.4 violent crimes per 1,000 population), Lindenwold (7.9 per 1,000) and Pemberton (7.1 per 1,000)?
9. Annual sales at Viking Yachts in New Gretna will top $175 million in 2013…the company builds boats that range from 42 to 92 feet in length and from $1 to $7 million in price?
10. Only one of the 25 largest Intellectual property law firms in the Delaware valley (ranked by # of local IP attorneys) is in SJ—that’s #13 Archer & Greiner?
SJ Facts are compiled from hither and thither by Haddonfield marketing executive Michael Willmann (pictured). You can reach Mike at WMSH Marketing Communications at 856-616-2886 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.